All those in the Banking sector have definitely heard about the JAIIB and CAIIB exams conducted by the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance (IIBF). For those of you, who have not yet heard about these exams, read on to find out more.
The importance of both these exams cannot be emphasized enough. While JAIIB is equivalent to Matriculation in Banking and Finance, CAIIB is like Graduation in Banking and Finance. Passing both these exams will not only help you grow professionally in your understanding of the banking processes, or in remuneration and career advancement, but also help you grow as an individual rooted in confidence, maturity and a lot of experience. If you are a new joinee, this will definitely help you understand what JAIIB exams and CAIIB exams are all about.
What is JAIIB and CAIIB?
JAIIB (Junior Associate of Indian Institute of Banking and Finance) and CAIIB (Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Banking and Finance) are both examinations that are conducted by the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance (IIBF) for members of the organization, twice every year. JAIIB covers basic knowledge of banking concepts, regulations and processes, while CAIIB involves advanced knowledge necessary for decision-making and practical application of banking processes. This year, due to COVID-19 and the nation-wide lockdown, the exams have been postponed. For more details, check out JAIIB and CAIIB 2020 exams schedule.
What is the Syllabus and the exam pattern for JAIIB and CAIIB?
The JAIIB exam is open to any person working in the banking sector and is a member of the IIBF. The syllabus for the exam is based on 3 important subjects – (Each of the below books will be linked to the book on the website):
The questions are majorly focused on the following topics:
- Banking knowledge
- Application of banking knowledge
- Analytical skills or logical reasoning skills
- The decision-making and problem-solving capacity of an individual
- Important banking concepts
Each paper carries 100 marks and there are 120 questions in each paper. The pattern of the exam consists of Multiple Choice Questions and questions based on case studies.
The duration of each paper is two hours.
CAIIB exam is a certificate exam with an advanced qualification and can be taken only after passing the JAIIB Examination. It is open to the members of the IIBF only. CAIIB exam also consists of three papers:
- Advanced Bank Management
- Bank Financial Management
- One subject out of 11 elective subjects can be chosen – The 11 electives include: Corporate Banking, Rural Banking, Retail Banking, International Banking, Information Technology, Co-operative Banking, Financial Technology, Human Resources Management, Risk Management, Central Banking, Treasury Management.
Unlike JAIIB, CAIIB papers consist of 100 questions in each of the papers and 100 marks allotted per paper. The duration of each paper is two hours. There is no negative marking for wrong answers.
How can you pass JAIIB and CAIIB Exams?
[Check our distance-learning course for JAIIB and CAIIB]
Read: How to pass CAIIB in first attempt
In order to clear the JAIIB and CAIIB Exams, you need to score a minimum of 50 out of 100. Candidates securing at least 45 marks in each subject with an aggregate of 50% marks in all subjects of the examination in a single attempt will also be declared as having cleared the examination.
What are the benefits of answering JAIIB and CAIIB Exams?
You will need to take some time off your busy schedule to prepare for these exams, which may not seem that simple. But even a minimal time investment of 30 minutes every day can get you through, that is if you are using NBTI study kits for JAIIB and CAIIB. Our material is exam-oriented and has been designed keeping in mind your specific needs as our Distance Learning participants, considering the time and effort you can spare alongside your full-time jobs. Once you’re through, these exams can open the doors to excellent opportunities and further boost your career progression.
Two important benefits of answering JAIIB and CAIIB Exams:
1. Monetary benefits
Once you clear and qualify in the JAIIB and CAIIB examination, you will be eligible for an incentive according to the agreed procedure followed by Indian Banks’ Association (IBA), the monetary benefits are as follows:
- As a clerk in a bank you are entitled to receive one increment if you qualify in the JAIIB Examination and upon clearing the CAIIB Examination, you are entitled to receive two increments as per the present pay scale.
- As an officer working with a nationalized bank you are entitled to one increment each upon passing the JAIIB and CAIIB examinations, respectively..
2. Non-monetary benefits
- You will receive knowledge about banking: You will gain in-depth knowledge about banking activities in India along with other technical aspects of banking. This will also help you in performing your duties more effectively and apply the knowledge in your everyday banking activities.
- You will have an edge in promotion: These exams carry a good weightage in the promotional interviews, and if you have cleared JAIIB and CAIIB, it becomes easier to get promotions. You get an edge over other candidates.
- You are eligible for plum postings: Clearing JAIIB and CAIIB gives you access to technical knowledge and hence it is possible for a candidate to receive posting in departments such as foreign exchange, treasury, government business etc.
Clearing JAIIB and CAIIB exams is a win-win situation for a banker. All you need to do is prepare well for these exams – We offer distance learning programs, free mocks tests and updated editions of the JAIIB and CAIIB books. The study material is updated regularly to incorporate all changes in syllabus as prescribed by IIBF, the latest updates in banking and finance, important notifications and revised guidelines by the RBI. Contact us for more information.